Based on the dutch legislation, a dentist is only authorized to work with dental x-rays if he/she has obtained a diploma as Radiation Protection Supervisor for Dentistry (TMS dentistry, basic level), former Radiation Certificate 5 A/M). This diploma is a separate diploma in addition to the dental diploma.
In addition, according to the Dental Radiology Guidelines, the dentist is obliged to keep the knowledge of dental radiology up to date through training:
- A minimum of 4 hours refresh course, every 5 years, for TMS dentistry, basic level
- A minimum of 8 hours refresh course, every 5 years, for TMS dentistry, Conebeam CT
With this radiation expertise course you will acquire the knowledge about radiation protection within dental radiology, you will acquire the expertise for independently justify x-rays or acting as a responsible radiation expert for your dental practice, as well as the most recent legislation and regulations in the Netherlands.
The radiation course cover the following topics, among others:
- Physical properties of x-rays
- Radiological quantities and units
- Biological effects of radiation
- Laws and regulations
- ALARA, optimization and justification
- Radiation protection: patient, employee, visitor and environment
- Quality assurance and promotion (including practical requirements)
BGB Dentistry works with fellow educational institutes and makes sure all their dentists are subscribed and follow this mandatory course in the beginning of their work in the Netherlands.
Do you have more questions about the radiology course for dentists in the Netherlands? Get in touch with Rita Marinho by clicking here!